Thursday, August 25, 2011

10-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF AALIYAH'S DEATH + BET TRIBUTE AIRING TONIGHT + DAME DASH REMINICES (VIDEO)


Today, August 25, marks the 10-year anniversary of the truly amazing singer and actress Aaliyah Dana Haughton.


Aaliyah was just 22-years old when she and members of team perished in a small plane while flying from the Bahamas. Aaliyah had just wrapped shooting for her music video on her hit single, Rock the Boat.


Sometimes,
I think about how different things would be if Aaliyah was still alive. She was on the brink of big-time movie stardom just before her death.


Aaliyah had recently shot her 2nd feature film, Queen of the Damned; she was enjoying the success of her latest CD, Aaliyah; she had recently signed on for the Matrix sequel (the role later went to Jada Pinkett-Smith) and the singer had secretly gotten engaged to her boyfriend, former Roc-A-Fella co-owner, Damon Dash


Although I never knew Aaliyah personally, it seemed like she had pretty much been a part of my life from middle school up until just before my last year of college, when she passed away...or at least her music had been.


I remember back in the day riding in my gym teacher's van with some of my other classmates singing Age Ain't Nothing But A Number as it played on the radio and feeling like Aaliyah really understood where I was at in my life...I's grown!


My friends and I were all of 12 and 13-years old, but you couldn't tell us we weren't grown!


I truly miss that girl...


We Need A Resolution is my favorite Aaliyah video!




The video was visually stunning and so ahead of its time.


You can still watch that video today and it doesn't look dated. I loved her ode to Christian Dior's 2001 ad campaign  with the scene where Aaliyah is holding a snake while covered in dirt. 


#Biter4Lifer


Less than 2 weeks after Aaliyah's death, Britney Spears bit borrowed Aaliyah's snake scene when she performed at the 2001 MTV Awards...like I always say, imitation is the highest form of flattery!


In related news, BET is scheduled to pay tribute to Aaliyah tonight (August 25), with a 1-hour tribute special airing at 8 pm ET titled Aaliyah: One In A Million.


In the clip below, Dame reminisces about Aaliyah's incredible work ethic and basically concedes that she had him sprung.











No comments:

Post a Comment