Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I KNOW I'M LATE...SO SUE ME: 2010 BET AWARDS RECAP

Posted by: Roxxanne Roxxanne



The 10th Annual BET Awards took place this past Sunday night (June 27) at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles and was hosted by Academy Award nominated actress Queen Latifah (more on that later).



The 10th annual BET Awards...where did the time go? 

I can't front, 10 years ago when I first heard that BET was putting together its first award show I was more than skeptical. My skeptism quickly faded the moment Whitney Houston accompanied by her daughter Bobbi-Kristina and her mother Sissy -- rocking a serious side-eye took to the stage to accept her Lifetime Achievement award.


Who could forget Whitney getting her Nate Dogg on by singing, "you betta lay low" while accepting her award, in response to a audience member shouting, "Thank Bobby!" 




Over the years the Awards have had some great performances by artists ranging from Beyonce to Maxwell; some surprise performances -- yall 'memba when The Fugees reunited on stage for first time in almost 10 years in 2005; and iconic tributes such as Michael Jackson's tribute to James Brown

Oh, and how can I forget one of the integral parts of any BET Awards...the host. Audiences have enjoyed such past host as Steve Harvey and Cedric The Entertainer, Monique and who could forget when Will and Jada hosted the Awards in 2005. 

Fast forward to this years Award show. While the awards boasted great performances by Kanye West; Monica and Denise Williams; El DeBarge; Chris Brown's Michael Jackson tribute (more on that later); and Prince's Lifetime Achievement tribute, those performances could not make up for the shows overall mediocrity (at best). 

Instead we were subjected to several unimpressive performances by: 

1. Nicki "I lip-rap" Minaj

2. Usher, I'm not sure what's going on bruh bruh (sidebar: Plies, three words: Clown.Stop.It!) but I need the "My Way"; "8701" and "Confessions" charisma and showmanship back, STAT!;  

3. Eminem, YAWN...been there, done dat! Sidebar: Key-shia, "you better check yourself before you riggity wreck yourself!" 

4. Trey Songz, don't you ever, ever, ever ever ever TRY and sing "Purple Rain" again! ESPECIALLY in the presence of Prince. Just plain ole disrespectful! 

5. DJ Khaled, Diddy, T-Pain, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes (Is fast-incoherent-rapping what's hot in skreets right now?), Rick "Offica" Ross and gazillion other rap dudes. The "Win, Win, Win!" set was chaotic and just plain loud and ANNOYING! 

Call me a spoiled brat, but I expected more starah (star)...performances. Where was Rihanna and her Rudeboy performance? That was the No. 1 single in the country for weeks. I'm not even a stan, but a Beyonce performance is a must for any award show..."I'm just being honest!" Why didn't Prince perform during his own Lifetime Achievement tribute(inquiring minds want to know bruh bruh!) 

And don't even get me started on Queen Latifah's hosting abilities. I expected SO much more from her! Put it this way Chicks and Dicks, although I LOVE THE FOOLISHNESS...Tifah's hosting just wasn't IT...and this is coming from someone who LOVES the Queen and respects most of her work. 


However, for all the Awards faults, it was still more entertaining than any other awards show out there now! Don't just take my word for it, according to Entertainment Weekly, the 2010 BET Awards garnered 7.4 million viewers. The Awards received the highest ratings for a cable awards show in the 18-49 demographic, and it was the second highest-rated event ever on BET, behind last year’s telecast. 

But enough already, I know you guys just want to see the pretty pictures and watch videos.


Taking into consideration that I'm late as phuck and yall likely already got yall fix of pictures, I'm just going to highlight the best dress Chicks of the night; throw in a little madness for good measure and post Chris Brown's comeback (mark my words!) performance aka his emotional Michael Jackson tribute.
Best Dress Chicks

The beautiful and talented Nia Long was the best dress of the night...PERIOD! She also happens to be one of Roxxy's Top 6 Chicks.


I LOVE LaLa's hair, dress...her whole look! Somebody's stepping it ALL the way up I see, good job!


Cassie aka Diddy's next victim. I'm kidding...not really! All I know is I like it, I like it *British accent* ALOT!

Brandy, again I just dig it!

Last but not least, Nicki Minaj...SIKE!!! Ha, thought you had a friend!

*drum roll* The madness...

*sings* "Dru Hill...Ill NaNa, na na na...you can lie" I just needed to sing that for my own sanity...don't ask me why! They actually don't look horrible...but Nokio  as Tiny's prayer hands tat symbolizes...we need to pray for the bruh bruh.

Naturi Naughton. First let me start off by saying that Turi (yep, sure did give her a nickname) wasn't the worst dress at the Awards the other night. However, she was the worst dress of all the people I think actually have talent and are going places in Hollywood.  With that said, here is the thing, almost every time I see Turi on someone's red carpet her 'fits just scream "make me over...I want to be made over!" I think she's a cute talented girl (you showed those KFC meal slinging wenches!), BUT she either needs to fire her stylist or get a REAL one...STAT! And her hair...*get's down on my knees and prays* baby steps, baby steps...

Chris Brown's Redemption Song aka Michael Jackson Tribute Performance











Chris Brown FINALLY got a chance to perform a tribute to the GREATEST entertainer to EVER do it, Michael Jackson, the other night at the BET Awards, and all I can say...DA BOI KILLED IT!

Brown did a string of MJ medleys while re-creating some of his signature moves. It only took a year, BUT Michael FINALLY got a PROPER tribute...fitting for a King! 

Many people believe (including yours truly), the icing on Chris' amazing performance was when he became really emotional while trying to sing the lyrics to "Man In the Mirror" and broke down and began sobbing. 

It was obvious that the lyrics struck more than a few chords with Chris. The other night on Twitter (follow the The Chick Fix on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheChick/Fix ) I posted a series of tweets after Chris' amazing performance which read:

1. Is Chris a convicted felon = Yes! 

2. Did he physically assault Rihanna = Yes!  

3. Did he finally give MJ a tribute fitting of the King of Pop = HELL YES! 

4. Will he ever regain his success = I don't know, but we all deserve a second -- even sometimes a third chance to right our wrongs!

Check out Chris' MJ tribute below!




Later, Chris beat out Justin Bieber, Trey Songz and Nicki Minaj to take home AOL's Fandemonium award, an award voted by the fans. During Brown's acceptance speech he remarked, "I let yall down before, but I won't do it again. I promise."

Ok Chris, we're going to hold you to your word for sure! I wish him the best and I'm anxious to see what he has in store for us next!

Photos credit: Getty Images/Film Magic/AP

3 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with your overall review in that I thought this was one of the best BET awards shows in the 10 years that they've been shown. Definitely not mediocre in my book!! I also would have liked to see Rihanna, Beyonce and Maxwell but understanding celebs have tours, personal lives and the like, they couldn't be in attendance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Prince tribute was horrible. the best part was Patti Labelle and Alicia Keys(she ripped it). Patti sung one line and the rest was noise. Janelle Monae look like a total fool with the loaf of bread on her head. She looked like she was paying homage to James Brown. In my Mr. T voice " Sit down Fool". The other lady Im clueless to who she was..
    the line up should have been Alicia Keys; Maxwell; Jamie Foxx??? that why he left right after the show he was mad...He prolly was like hell with ou debra Lee with that ugly ass dress on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous 1: then we just agree to disagree. although there were some standout performances (El Debarge and Chris Brown's sets), I thought the show was just ok.

    anonymous 2: I sort of agree with you on the Prince tribute. My lineup for the tribute would have been: Maxwell or Bilal (maybe both); Jamie Foxx (they definitely dropped the ball on having him perform...or maybe Prince chose the lineup) and Beyonce (remember their Grammy performance!)or (maybe both) Melanie Fiona!

    Oh, and BET needs to either get Monique or Cedric the Entertainer and Steve Harvey to return to their hosting duties, pronto!

    ReplyDelete