Thursday, April 15, 2010

WHAT YOU SAY, SHE AIN'T NO DIVA! MIA ON LADY GAGA: "She sounds more like me, than I phucking do!"

Posted by: Roxxanne Roxxanne


Ok, so our girl Maya “MIA” Arulpragasam is featured as one of the 10 cover features for NME magazine. She sat down with the magazine for an interview, and let’s just say she didn’t mince words when speaking about Lady Gaga and the current state of the music industry.

In future decades, how will people look back on music in 2010?


I’m not sure, but music now should be like a sonic massage. You want to really feel it, internally. The police use sound cannons at public protests that explode people’s inside with a single note - human beings have to come up with the opposite of that.

What place does politics have in music today?

I’m always encouraging people to be more vocal. Google’s more powerful than any government now - people think it’s God. They’re storing all our data and one day they’re gonna turn against us. That’s what my new album’s about - I’m living fucking proof that politics doesn’t work. Every time I breathe it’s documented on my computer and yet I’m still on some stupid list somewhere that says I’m a terrorist.

Do we still need record labels?

Are they even interested in making money from music anymore? Lady Gaga plugs 15 things in her new video. Dude, she even plugs a burger! That’s probably how they’re making money right now - buying up the burger joint, putting the burger in a music video and making loads of burger money.

Do you think those programmes and the internet have destroyed the mythology around popstars?

I don’t know. Again, there’d Lady Gaga - people say we’re similar, that we both mix all these things in the pot and spit them out differently, but she spits it out exactly the same! None of her music’s reflective of how weird she wants to be or thinks she is. She models herself on Grace Jones and Madonna, but the music sounds like 20-year-old Ibiza music, you know? She’s not progressive, but she’s a good mimic. She sounds more like me than I fucking do! That’s a talent and she’s got a great team behind her, but she’s the industry last’s stab at making itself important - saying, ‘You need our money behind you, the endorsements, the stadiums’ Respect to her, she’s keeping a hundred thousand people in work, but my belief is: Do It Yourself.

What’s more important to you - performing live or making records?

Making records is my art, but if you’re an artist, questioning a lot of things it’s important to have that live space what you do isn’t gonna be twisted and manipulated.


How important are image and visuals to your music?

Very. But it’s not like “Haus of Gaga” (laughs). Me blindfolded with naked men feeding me apples and shit.

Who or what is the enemy of music right now?

Money is always the enemy of music.

Is it still possible for a musician to ‘sell-out’ in 2010?

Back in 2003 I was in a bedsit, hand-spraying very 12-inch and just wanting to make art. Everybody gets turned into a product push so fast - these weird fucking ‘hipster’ parties promoting Red Bull or whatever. There’s a difference between saying ‘no’ to everything and ‘yes’ to everything. I’m not fucking Coldplay because I said ‘no’ to certain things. When I did my ‘selling-out’ show for MTV they made me a hundred grand and I built a school with it in Africa.

Would you ever make a record for a Twilight soundtrack?

They asked me. Luckily Jimmy [Iovine, chairmen of M.I.A.’s US label Interscope] had beef with the Twilight people, so he stepped in and told them to fuck off.

What do you hope to be doing in 2020?

I’m going to be an artist. Whatever I think an artist is in 10 years. I’ll be doing that.

Oh, ok MIA, tell'em why you mad son! 


So what you baiscally trying to say MIA is that Lady Gaga "don't paint pictures, she just trace you (© Jay-Z)" LOL! 

I think the most intriguing thing about MIA’s philosophy on the music industry lies in her fiancé/baby daddy’s, Ben Brewer’s lineage.

Ben Brewer-Bronfman
is the oldest son of billionaire Edgar Bronfman Jr. formerly CEO of Seagram and vice-chairman of Vivendi Universal. He’s been the CEO of Warner Music Group (record labels under WMG include: Atlantic, Bad Boy, Elektra, Maverick (Madonna’s label), and Warner Bros, just to name a few).


Edgar Bronfman Jr. is the son of Edgar Miles Bronfman and the grandson of Samuel Bronfman, one of the wealthiest and most influential Jewish families in Canada.

Now marinate on dat!



Source 1 and 2

2 comments:

  1. What the hell has Edgar Bronfman got to do with M.I.A.? Your argument is hilarious....ly pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Gaga rocks...MIA Kanye sampled your voice and ran wit it..sit your ass. down and go breast feed your newborn...you sing like an 8 year old!

    ReplyDelete