Saturday, February 27, 2010

SHUT-DE-PHUCK UP EDITION: JAMIE FOXX SAYS THAT JAY-Z SHOULD KEEP QUIET ABOUT THE "WE ARE THE WORLD" REMAKE

Posted by: Roxxanne Roxxanne


Last week on Jamie Foxx’s Foxxhole radio show on Sirus, Jamie and his co-host Johnnie Mack, had a disagreement about the remake of "We Are the World" (WATW).

Jamie feelings were that the intention in remaking the song was to raise money for Haiti and not necessarily about the remake. He said that Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie already had plans to remake the song to commemorate the 25th anniversary prior to the Haiti Earthquake, but after the earthquake occurred they decided to remake the song to aide the Haiti relief.

Jamie’s co-host Johnnie Mack on the other hand considered the original WATW to be a “classic,” and he agreed with Jay-Z’s comment that the original song should not have been remade.

During the NBA’s All-Star weekend in Dallas this year, a reporter asked Jay-Z—who did not participate in the WATW remake, his thoughts regarding the remake. Jay-Z stated,
“I know everybody is gonna take this wrong: 'We Are the World,' I love it, and I understand the point and think it's great. But I think 'We Are the World' is like Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' to me. I don't ever wanna see it touched. I'm a fan of music. I know the plight and everything that's going on in Haiti. So I appreciate the efforts and everything, but 'We are the World' is musically untouchable like 'Thriller' is untouchable. It was a valiant effort, but for me, it's gonna be untouchable.”



Jamie questioned why Jay-Z would make such a comment if he knew beforehand that people would take it the wrong way.

“Then why say it? …why…no wait, wait stop right there!"

Why say it? I love Jay-Z, but why say it? I, uh, no, no here is the thing. Because here’s, like I, like I said, if they are going to take it wrong and you know you are Jay-Z and you’re very-- I mean everybody’s looking at you because you are the man. Why do you cut the legs out from under Lionel Richie and Quincy Jones? Because that’s what you’re doing. Now you make it seem…because on blogs and on the internet now its, now their comparing the song and they forgot about the message. They forgot the…can I finish? Why say it?


What it does…is that it causes what we’re doing now. It doesn’t make sense that we are arguing about whether the lay of the beat or whether Beyonce’s sings Halo or whether Justin Timberlake has--this was their part, this is what their giving yo! You got to talk to Quincy Jones and Lionel…maybe you should call them and then listen to them because what you talk--they don’t need money. Someone was said Lionel needed a look…Lionel owns half of Beverly Hills, he don’t need that!


“Quincy Jones, Quincy Jones has done everything for all of us young entertainers to have respect…so my whole thing is –let me finish! So if he [Jay-Z] says that its going to be taken the wrong way, if you say it, it is taken the wrong way… it not about Jay-Z, it not about Lionel Richie, it not about Quincy Jones, it’s what we do for Haiti…




Check out more of Jamie’s quotes (and audio) regarding how:
(1) Jay-Z drew attention away from the remake;
(2) today’s entertainers are fake (including himself); and
(3) Jay-Z, Alicia Keys and Beyonce would have ran at the chance, if someone not of color (e.g. white) would have asked them to participate in something.
“So now the song is not about Haiti but about whether we should have remade the song.”

“…he [Jay-Z] draws attention to himself and then what happens is and now people debate it and they forget about the message.”

“Jay-Z to me and anyone else who has opinion about WATW…why don’t you, in this situation because of what they’re doing the song for, why don’t we just stay quiet?”

Don’t you think it clouds the message, what Jay-Z said? And a lot of times when you talk about what Jay-Z had to say, why, that’s all I’m asking. Why now? Why right now?
Start at the 2:13 mark!


Jamie goes on to say,
We’re fake…we’re the fakest entertainers to come along in a long time. From me and to everyone else that I know. I won’t name any names. What I mean is this, that Lionel Richie, Quincy Jones and all these people have traveled to places. They have experience these places. We fake! We look at it like this…is it going to be a good look for me is it going to be a RISK for me if I come do this song and it doesn’t work out right. I have a group of people around me telling me don’t go to the WATW thing because we don’t think it’s going to be a hit. Lionel Richie Barbara Streisand have traveled the globe they have held hands with people that have been sick and dying and starving … that was the reason they wrote the song in the first place. We are fake…”

Lionel Richie, Quincy Jones are comfortable. They look at us and they shake their heads. Why wouldn’t, why wouldn’t Jay-Z, why wouldn’t Alicia Keys, why wouldn’t Beyonce? Hate to say it, but I guarantee to you if it was someone maybe not of color I guarantee you they run you know why because sometimes they think the person not of color is going to give them a deal somewhere —and if you do this for me I’ll do this. We are fake including myself…I don’t want you to get it twisted…including myself…”




Starts at the 6:32 mark.


I have to admit that prior to reading Jay-Z’s comments on the remake, I watched the WATW remake music video at least 10 times and laughed myself into a small stroke at all of the utter foolishness (fo’real dough Wyclef, is that what’s hot in the streets right now?) dripping off of my computer screen. Oh the humanity!

Read my rundown of this travesty here!

I agree with Jay-Z’s comments regarding the remake being untouchable, however after listening to Jamie’s explanation, I do feel that Jay should not have publicly commented on the remake.

It is one thing for Jay not to participate in the remake—before reading his comment, I just assumed he missed the remake due to scheduling conflicts.

However, it is an entirely different thing for Jay to comment on his non-participation. Who are we kidding, to many, what Jay-Z says goes!

When Jay-Z raps about ditching throwback jerseys for button ups and grandpapa cardigans, everybody and their pappy start rocking button ups and cardigans. So if Jay says that the remake ain’t it, a majority of his fans will likely agree and unfortunately not purchase the song.

“So now the song is not about Haiti but about whether we should have remade the song.”

Jamie makes a valid point, but I think anytime you redo a classic or any song for that matter, it is going to be compared to the original. However, I do believe that the purpose of the song—which was to raise money to benefit Haiti, is overshadowed by the controversy surrounding the remake.

No comments:

Post a Comment