Saturday, August 29, 2009

DJ AM FOUND DEAD IN HIS NYC APARTMENT

Posted by: Roxxanne Roxxanne
Adam “DJ AM” Goldstein, 36, was found dead in his New York City apartment, yesterday.
According to People.com, Det. Brian Sessa, at 5:20 p.m. on Friday New York Police Department officers entered an apartment on Lafayette Street in response to a 911 call about a man who hadn't been seen for two days. Inside, they found the body of a white male in his 30s. Another police source confirmed to People that the dead man was DJ AM.
The cause of death has not been released by the medical examiner, although N.Y.P.D. Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said there was no apparent evidence of foul play. A police source said prescription drugs were found in the apartment. Goldstein's publicist released a statement Friday confirming the news of his death. "The circumstances surrounding his death are unclear. Out of respect for his family and loved ones, please respect their privacy at this time." DJ AM was a former member of the hip-hop/rock band Crazy Town, best known for their 2001 hit “Butterfly.” The song soared to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. The go-to DJ to the stars, could be caught spinning at some of Hollywood’s hottest parties for celebrities such as: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jessica Simpson, Ben Stiller, and Jennifer Lopez. DJ AM scratched on albums for Papa Roach, Madonna, and Will Smith, among others; played concerts with Jay-Z; and repeatedly collaborated and toured with Travis Barker of Blink-182.
While DJ AM’s early life was littered with substance abuse and obesity issues, his later years was marked with sobriety and great success. At age 12 DJ AM began using drugs and by 24 he was smoking crack cocaine. He told a magazine in 2005, "[d]rugs became my identity…I would deejay until 2 a.m., go get drugs and stay up until 10 in the morning doing drugs alone in my apartment." During his early 20s, his weight reached 300 lbs.
A critical turning point in his life came in 1997, when Goldstein considered suicide. After a night of doing drugs, DJ AM 24 at the time, at a mirror and "could not move away from staring at myself," he said. He put a gun in his mouth and, sobbing, said, "God, please help me."
"I pulled the trigger, and it jammed…and I remember sitting there thinking, '[y]ou know, I can’t even kill myself.' “A friend, who had managed to kick drugs, stopped to check in on him.”He said, '[d]ude, you're coming with me. Let's go." And I just listened for once, and I went and I did everything he told me to do. That was 11 years ago." After DJ AM’s 30th birthday, he lost 155 lbs. by undergoing gastric bypass surgery.
At the time of his death, DJ AM was still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), after surviving a fatal plane crash in South Carolina last September with Travis Barker, where four others died including the captain. "There's no reason why I lived and they didn't," DJ AM said last month at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, referring to the others who died in the crash. "It's something that I struggle with every day, you know, kind of wondering. But I’ve just realized I'm never really going to know. I'm alive, and I'm here, and I have another chance. So I have to do something better with my life this time." A week before his death, DJ AM and longtime girlfriend, American Apparel model, Hayley Wood broke up. On August 21, Life & Style magazine reported that Goldstein's friends took him out for dinner earlier that week in Los Angeles "because he was depressed." In the past, DJ AM also dated actress/singer Mandy Moore and was engaged to designer/reality star Nicole Ritchie.
This summer has seen such a tremendous amount of loss in the celebrity world. We hear at The Chick Fix would like to send our condolences to DJ AM’s family and friends. He is gone but will NEVER be forgotten.
Tomorrow is NOT promised to any chick or dick, so if you have a friend that you think might be hurting, reach out to them and let them know you are there for them…before it’s too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment